Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Going Back to The Flood

Someone from my local area posted a reply which led me to an annual potluck supper involving 1961 Flood Survivors. The picnic is Saturday; I plan to attend. I'm filled with black holes -- I won't recognize anyone and they probably won't recognize ME. I wasn't quite four years old the night of the flood. Both my parents are deceased. There wil be likely be people who remember my father because of his liberal ideas. Maybe even my mother because of her huge pregnant belly and the fact that her baby boy survived floating on a mattress. I'm sure no one remembers me.

I want to find out who Joe is/was and thank him. I want to hear the stories. I want to tie up the loose ends and learn people's names. I want to thank everyone for helping us that long dark rainy night.

Please honor the survivors of Katrina's floods. Give more than you think you can give -- they truly are starting over with nothing. Remember, our little family came out of the water stark naked, without jewelry or anything. But at least we had each other and a community around us who kicked in and did what they could to help us start over.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.