Wednesday, April 23, 2008

How Does Your Garden Grow? Day One...


Here are the 28 snap pea seeds I attempted to start on wet paper toweling under Saran wrap. Six sprouted, vs. the four expected to sprout if I'd sewn them directly in the ground. Not much advantage, huh? Or looking at it in a positive way, it's actually 50% more than I could've expected had I sewn them directly in the ground! That sounds better...

7 p.m. I planted 22 of the pea seeds around a central post and four points around it. I attached four strings to the post at two different heights, and ran them to the ground and attached them to twigs which I stuck in the ground at the four "corners" of the container. Four seeds for each point of the strings, and 12 seeds around the center post.

The soil is too cool for my other crops, but I will be planting tomatoes, bell peppers, and pole beans as soon as it seems they will be successful. I'll likely plant the second crop of sugar snap peas late this summer for a fall crop.

No comments: