Thursday, October 04, 2012

Playing for Keeps



I got some amazing great news Wednesday! Not trying to tease anyone; just wanted to share the general sense of happiness. Good things goin' on! ~~GHC


"Truth is handsomer than the affectation of love. Your goodness must have some edge to it, else it is none."
~~Ralph Waldo  Emerson





I believe in being good for goodness' sake. I seek to live my life in a genuine manner, with honesty and compassion. I have been criticized by "some" because at times I operate with a sharp tongue, at other times I choose not to reply at all. I have been accused by some folks of being unkind because of these behaviors.

I find that reaction hurtful, confusing, and in conflict with my sense of Truth and Goodness.

Today I found Emerson's words (above) as well as the following words that put my mind at ease. I am not at odds with Truth OR Goodness when my behavior doesn't reflect sweetness and light. :-)

Tibetan meditation master Chogyam Trungpa coined the phrase "idiot compassion" to define the behavior people tend to do where they react from the "Playbook of Nice" rather than "from an authentic arising of goodness, because our heart is simply open."
"An open heart is never certain, it is in open dialog with this world and thus can respond with sweetness when sweetness is due, or wrath or silence or dismissal or an endless embrace. You are on the razor's edge, meaning right here, right now, playing for keeps, not for appearances." ~~Susan Piver


No comments: