Thursday, September 17, 2015

At The Food Pantry


The big man at the food pantry pushes me to take groceries I don’t want. He offers me boxed mac’n’cheese and I tell him I can’t eat powdered flavorings. He tells me not to be proud – I fib and tell him I’m allergic to them to get him to leave me alone. When I get home, I find boxes of powdered mac’n’cheese in the bottom of one of my bags anyway.

He offers me a big tube of toothpaste. I remind him I got one just last month and still have plenty. He tries to get me to accept it, but I hold steady. “No. I do not need toothpaste.” He offers me a choice of combs and I remind him I got a comb last month, but he chooses one for me anyway and slips it into my bag. 

“How about tomatoes?” he asks, “Do you need tomatoes?” I am delighted and say so. “How many do you need?” I ask him to show me how big they are so I can determine. He frowns and holds two up.

They are small but not grape-sized. I ask if I can have three or four. He parries with “Do you need more?” I tell him I can use as many as he wants to give me. He sounds gruff when he chides me that it’s not about what I WANT but what I NEED. I shrug, unwilling to fight with him about words or tomatoes. When I get home, I find ten tomatoes.

Another man asks me if I can use meat. I tell him ground turkey or chicken or beef is fine. He asks “Hot dogs or bologna?” and I answer hot dogs. He puts a package of hot dogs and one pound each of ground chicken, turkey, and Black Angus grass-fed beef in my bag. I’ve never even eaten Black Angus grass-fed beef before but I know it’s not good for hamburgers – too lean. This will be the first time I’ve had the too-lean problem, I think.

I tell him I have lots of peanut butter but he insists on knowing “creamy or crunchy” and I admit defeat and ask for creamy. 

I say I could really use some spaghetti and sauce, and I’d love some bread. They have dozens of loaves of bread, so much bread that it’s going moldy and they’ve started a stack of throw-away bread. I’m asked what kinds of bread I like and I ask if there’s any rye because I want to make a Reuben sandwich, but I forgot to ask if they have sauerkraut in a can. 

They give me a loaf of Jewish rye, and a large whole wheat, and a package of hot dog buns and hamburger buns. I have a lot of bread this time. They put a huge lemon torte into a bag. It was marked down for clearance to $5.99. I wonder how much it cost full-price. My birthday’s coming up so I don’t feel guilty for accepting the cake.

They make me take cans of beans and fruit and a tin of some sort of canned pork and a can of evaporated milk and some sweetened condensed caramel milk. It is a lot of food. I am grateful.  He always gives me a roll of toilet paper – one roll per month. My imagination runs free and I rein it in.

Sometimes I wish they had eggs, sugar, flour, ingredients to make more wholesome things with. Instead, they put three packages of Ramen noodles in a bag and set it down. He asks if I like carrots and I smile and say yes, and he puts a can of them in the bag with the Ramen noodles. He tries to get me to accept canned turnip greens and I decline, assuring him I would not eat them.


When I get home, I’m tired and I doze after the frozen meats are put away. I dream of canned carrots and Ramen noodles with caramel sweetened condensed milk and Jewish rye bread with no sauerkraut or corned beef, and I picture a can of black beans and a roll of toilet paper all jumbled up, and I’m grateful, grateful for those who donated food, grateful for these strange food choices, grateful for the volunteers, grateful for sleep.


No comments: