Monday, May 02, 2005

Waiting For Sunshine

Have been in a major slump. Locked in a paper sack lo these many weeks... or has it been only a couple? I can't say. Today, a crack formed in the sack and light spilled through. I tore the crack until it became a rip, then a tear, and finally, the bag split and sunlight spilt in and lit all the dark corners.

My sister was hospitalized a week ago. She's still screaming, acting out, having outbursts. But I can't hear them because she isn't here. Guilty relief? Probably, but still much needed.

Wrote a couple of pieces I feel good about during the Flash-A-Thon in my office during April. Posted First Amendment last night. So far, three straight excellent reviews -- first time ever! I know someone will come along and skew the ratings, but I'm pleased. Little steps, I keep telling myself.

Received a lovely declination from StoryQuarterly executive editor today for The Saxophone Man's Soul. I feel encouraged. General sense seems to be that I'm writing exquisite character sketches and now I need to get off my duff and expand on these wonderful characters.

The sun's shining, but it's cold. It sleeted earlier today. My pepper plants and green beans are sitting in containers in the dining room, chomping at the bit for raw sunshine. Hopefully soon, I tell myself. The sun will come. Growth can begin in earnest. Until then, we live in a hothouse and hope.

No comments: