Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Mick Jagger is Not Jim Morrison, and I Don't Want to Do Your Dirty Work

All these years, I've mistakenly assumed "Hello, I Love You" was sung by The Rolling Stones. I was only 10 when it came out, so I can be forgiven for my error, right? Please say yes. I would feel so silly otherwise. :)

Morrison was some poet! Check out the visuals in this verse:

Sidewalk crouches at her feet
Like a dog that begs for something sweet

That section just amazes me. A sidewalk, crouching. Just that image alone is phenomenal. Then it's crouching at her feet. Realize that women in 1968 wore skirts for the most part. So this anthropomorphic sidewalk is now crouching at a woman's feet, looking up her skirt. And it is like a dog, begging for something sweet. Wow. That just blows me away.


While I was musing about all that, the song "Dirty Work" came on the radio. It was sung by Steely Dan. I also didn't realize who had sung "Dirty Work." I don't know who I thought sang it; I just didn't connect it with Steely Dan. The narrator in "Dirty Work" is a backdoor man, a man who slips in and pleasures the woman when her man goes away. He is unhappy with this relationship.

When you need a bit of lovin'
Cause your man is out of town
That's the time you get me runnin'
And you know I'll be around


I don't know why, but this song just about broke my heart today. I relate to it in no way whatsoever; I'm not involved in a secret love/sex relationship, and I never felt the way the narrator feels:

I foresee terrible trouble
And I stay here just the same


Just wow. The emotion in this song is so strong. My heart broke for that man. Worst of all, I have no clue why it affected me so much.

No comments: