Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Guest Poet: Stephen Crane

This is not your feel-good poem. Just so you know . . . ~~GH




In the Desert

In the desert
I saw a creature, naked, bestial,
Who, squatting upon the ground,
Held his heart in his hands,
And ate of it.
I said: "Is it good, friend?"
"It is bitter -- bitter," he answered;
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."
        ~~Stephen Crane
I would not presume to tell you what meaning to make of a poem.  I wandered around the 'net a bit, read some interpretations of  "In the Desert" and even listened/watched two YouTube video readings of it. As usual, the meaning(s) I derive don't match what I saw. 
I won't try to explain what I think it means, but let me say that I don't see this as a scary or intimidating or shocking or negative poem. If I were to read it aloud, I would not use a threatening tone. 
Don't we all "eat our hearts out" sometimes? 

No comments: