Sunday, January 08, 2006

Mount Zion Speculative Fiction Review/Writing Dark Fiction

Received my author's copy of the Mount Zion Speculative Fiction Review in the mail Friday. What a good looking book it is! I was thrilled to see my first horror story on Page 109 (yes, I was). I started that story on a lark last year. It was getting close to Halloween and I wondered if I could write a horror story. Copies cost a paltry $4.00 and are worth every cent. You can purchase one here.

Like so many stories I come up with, this one started with a line floating around in my head: Monsters Welcome Here. It took on a life of its own and the rest, as they say, is history. Well, maybe it's not a Pulitzer prize but I'm pleased with it!

I'm participating in Sharon Hurlbut's flashathon over on Zoetrope. I thrive under the pressure of flashathons, and I've been able to come up with a story or more every day so far this month. As expected, those one-liners float around in my head and I indulge them. So far the list goes as follows:

Sometimes Things Go Wrong
Dry Heat
Just A Bite Before I Go
Bringin Home The Bacon (and)
Tastes Like Chicken

I'm having a blast!

For a good read, check out this week's QUICTIONonline. Ray Grant has a fun flash titled "Solo Flight" that you don't want to miss!

No comments: